A business app requires in-depth research, an attractive layout & design with scalable features in order to become a big hit in the market. The average cost to build an app thus depends on the features of the app, resources, and the hourly rate of the app developers.
Most Mobile app developers charge on an hourly basis. The pricing varies from region to region. Here we have listed the country-wise Mobile App Development costs:
- US and Canada– $50 to $200 Per Hour=
- Australia– $50 to $150 Per Hour
- Western Europe And The UK– $50 To $160 Per Hour
- Eastern Europe– $35 To $150 Per Hour
- India– $10 to $80 Per Hour
In 2021, the number of mobile users worldwide stood at 7.1 billion, with forecasts suggesting this is likely to rise to 7.26 billion by 2022. In 2025, the number of mobile users worldwide is projected to reach 7.49 billion.
The above research was conducted by Statista.
With the rising use of smartphones and mobile apps in the world today, businesses are increasingly looking to make use of this growth-oriented platform. Mobile apps are seen growing at a faster pace so is the demand for mobile app development services.
This post enlists what it takes to build a successful mobile app, what features are included, and the overall cost estimation for the same.
Determining the Estimated Cost to Build an App
Getting a price estimation of the app development is a daunting task. No one can actually give you an exact estimate of the costs without understanding the offerings/functionalities of your business app.
The cost depends on various factors like app features, mobile app design, app complexity, location of the app development team, and more.
Want to know more, continue reading to get an idea:
Type of App
There are various types of apps based on your business domain. Some of the popular app types include eCommerce apps, on-demand apps, gaming apps, Fintech Apps, etc. Some of these app types may have similar features, but they all have different approaches to building.
Mobile App Functionality
The cost to build a mobile app depends mainly on the functionalities you will offer your end-users. Every app type you are seeking to develop would have different functionalities.
Choosing the Platforms/OS
The second most important factor to consider is the platforms and operating system you are looking for your app to launch on.
Mobile App Platform/Category
The cost of creating an app also depends on your application type and category. Generally, there are three types of mobile apps.
- Web App- more of a website crafted for smartphone users.
- Native Mobile Apps- developed specifically for a particular OS- either Android or iOS. These are generally preferred for a great user experience.
- Hybrid Apps- designed to work on both iOS and Android platforms. They are easy to develop, yet lack in offering a great user experience.
Any third-party integrations can also affect the overall cost of making an app.
Use of Technology
Using technologies like NFC Technology, GPS Navigation, Motion sensors, and AR Technology in your app would considerably affect the cost of your app.
The complexity of the App
Depending on the complexity of the app development, your overall cost would differ. Assume a developer charges 30$ per hour then the average cost will be:
- Simple App Development Cost – $30,000 to $50,000
- Average App Development Cost – $50,000 to $100,000
- Complex App Development Cost – from $150,000
Hosting of App
Hosting is the place where your mobile app’s photos, videos, audio, media, or texts are stored. Some popular hosting server companies are AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud. Most of them generally charge between 50$ to 350$ per month.
Maintenance of App
After launching your mobile app, App maintenance is one of the most important factors to consider. Timely updates of features/functionalities need to be added to your app so it stays competitive. This mobile app maintenance cost would also affect the final cost of the app.
Cost Breakdown for the Feature-Based App Development
Incorporating basic & complex features plays an important role in deciding the overall cost to build a mobile app. The more complex features, the higher cost the app development would incur.
Generally, the mobile app features & functionality levels are categorized into 3 parts-
1. Basic Mobile Apps
For any app development, the addition of basic features is a priority. The basic app should have features like-
- Search option- So to easily allow users to find what they are looking for in your app.
- User profiles– Each user has an individual profile that mentions all purchase history/wishlist items or their payment/address details.
- Geolocation– This is required to track the location of your user.
- Payment options- Multiple payment options would offer ease to your users and they can choose any one of them to make the transaction process hassle-free.
- Newsfeed- This will keep your audience up to date about the latest happenings.
- In-app notifications- Push notifications to keep reminding your customers of the offers, discounts, or upcoming sales.
Examples of such apps (Simple): Ecommerce, fitness trackers, podcasts, news, book reading, etc.
2. Medium Level Mobile Apps
Here are some of the Features & Functionality you can consider for your Medium Level Apps:
- In-app messaging– This feature will keep notifying your users about their latest order progress as well as discounts & ongoing sales.
- Location tracking- So that the user’s location can be tracked.
- Effective cybersecurity– Safeguarding the apps against any cyber-attacks is a priority. So your app should be well-equipped to offer extreme security against hackers and thefts.
- Social media integrations- Signup/Sign in options should be given with social media integrations.
- More complex payment portals– Integration of multiple payment systems like smart wallets, UPI, etc can be considered in such kinds of apps.
The functionality of mid-level apps can fulfill the requirement of many businesses and help to save development costs. Some medium-level apps in the market are- food delivery, eCommerce business, etc.
Read Also: Cost of Developing an eCommerce App
3. Complex Mobile Apps
Complex mobile apps can have features like:
- Live to stream– Live streaming feature is grabbing a lot of popularity these days. Most businesses today are creating their live streaming apps.
- 3rd-party integrations- As we use different mobile apps to meet our daily needs, we need integration with third-party software to access our needs. Today, APIs are everywhere. They control how we navigate our GPS, get information from our social media sites, how book our tickets online, and much more.
- Video chat– Video calls are the next best thing to in-person communication. Giving this feature would attract a huge customer base.
- Complex cybersecurity tools– To secure your app, more complex cybersecurity tools can be integrated.
- Analytics and reports– This feature gets you insights about how your app is doing, where most of your user base is located, your user behavior, etc.
- Native features– Having native-like features for your mobile app would offer easy navigation and intuitive UI/UX.
Calculating the Total Development Pricing of Mobile App?
Consider this formula for finding out the cost of making a mobile app–
App development pricing= Number Of Man Hours X Hourly Rate
(Features*Time) X Hourly Rate = Mobile App Development Cost
Note: The cost may vary depending on the mobile app development company or development team you hire. The final cost thus may change later.
Calculating the Final Cost of Creating App By Stages
The final app development price estimation can now be done considering the following services:
- Overall UI/UX Design
- The complexity of the app
- iOS and Android native app development
- Project management
- Quality assurance & testing
And for this, you’ll need resources:
- Team Manager/Project Manager
- UI/UX designer
- 3 – 4 developers for each platform
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- 2–3 backend developers
Keeping in the requirements above, the overall average cost to build an app depends on your service provider’s hourly rates, which may go from as low as $15 per hour to as high as $200 per hour.
Cost of Developing an App by Regions
Most Mobile app developers charge on an hourly basis. The pricing varies from region to region. Here we have listed the country wise Mobile App Development costs for the simple, medium level to complex level apps:
- US – $20K to $45K for simple app development, up to $90K for medium level apps, and more than $90K for complex level apps.
- Canada – $35K for a simple app. The price goes from $90K to &150K+ for medium to complex level apps.
- Australia – $35K to $80K, $90K to $160K, $150K+ for simple, medium & complex apps respectively.
- Western Europe And The UK – The price varies from $25K for simple apps, $35K-$80K for medium apps, and more than $90K for complex app development.
- India – Most Indian mobile app developers charge $10 for simple apps, up to $25K for medium level apps, and $20K+ for complex apps.
How to Reduce the App Development Cost? (Tips)
Hiring developers to develop an app is a time-consuming and highly expensive business. Even if you are going to build a simple app it may cost thousands of dollars and could take a few months to complete.
For most businesses, getting into the mobile app market space at the earliest becomes a daunting task, the reason being higher development cost and timeframe.
Below, we have listed two tips that could help you reduce the cost of developing apps and increase the time frame for your dream app development. Following this can let you save money and considerably reduce your app launch time-
1. Building an MVP for your App
Have you heard about MVPs? It stands for minimum viable products and is the first process initiated before you are ready for your app development journey.
Before spending more money to create an app, you should release a simple version of your application. After launching MVPs you can increase your budget on a fully- featured version that helps to minimize risk. It means you have to keep your app simple by cutting down on features until you’re sure there’s actually a market for your product.
2. Consider Cross-Platform App Development
When it comes to developing applications, cross-platform development is an intelligent thing to consider. Cross-platform apps can run on multiple operating systems, devices & browsers. Wondering how?
Cross-platform like Xamarin development allows app developers to work on a single code base but can run on multiple platforms. The major benefit of using cross-platform development is cost reduction because you don’t need to pay developers separately for android and iOS platforms.
Estimated Cost to Maintain an App After Launching
As any business knows, the cost of app development can be significant. After an app is launched there are also ongoing costs associated with maintaining and updating an app. Here are some factors that can impact the cost of app development, as well as the estimated cost to maintain an app after launch.
The type of app being developed: The complexity of the app will impact the cost. A simple app with limited functionality will be less expensive to develop than a complex app with many features.
The platform: The cost of developing an app for multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) will be higher than developing for just one platform.
The development team: The size and experience of the development team will impact the cost of developing an app. A larger, more experienced team will be more expensive than a smaller, less experienced team.
The location: The cost of app development can vary depending on the location of the development team. Teams in countries with a lower cost of living will be less expensive than teams in countries with a higher cost of living.
The duration: The longer it takes to develop an app, the more expensive it will be.
Ongoing Costs of Maintaining an App: Once an app is launched, there are ongoing costs associated with maintaining and updating the app. These costs can include:
Monitoring: It’s important to monitor the app for crashes and errors. This can be done with tools like Crashlytics or HockeyApp.
Updates: As new versions of the operating system are released, the app will need to be updated to work with the new version. Additionally, new features may be added to the app over time.
Customer support: It’s important to provide customer support in case users have questions or need help. This can be done via email, a website, or a dedicated customer support number.
The cost of maintaining an app will vary depending on the size and complexity of the app. Additionally, the cost may increase over time as more updates are released and more customer support is needed.
Advantages of Hiring a Development Agency vs Freelancer for app development
- Access to Wide Expertise: When you hire a development agency, you get a team of professionals who are experts in their respective fields. This means that you will have access to a wide range of skills and knowledge, which can be used to develop your app more effectively.
- Higher Level of Support Anytime: A development agency will also be able to provide you with a higher level of support than a freelancer. This is because they will have a dedicated team of professionals who can help you with any problems that you may encounter during the development process.
- Full Range of Services: A development agency will also be able to offer you a more comprehensive service than a freelancer. This is because they will be able to provide you with a full range of services, from app development to marketing and promotion.
- Highly Competitive Rates: Finally, a development agency will also be able to offer you a more competitive price than a freelancer. This is because they will be able to leverage their resources and expertise to get the best possible deal for your project.
Disadvantages of Hiring Freelancers for App Development
There are several disadvantages of hiring freelancers for app development.
- Quality Lacks: One of the most significant disadvantages is that you may not be able to get the same high-quality work as you would from a professional app development company.
- Risks Included: Additionally, working with a freelancer can be riskier because they may not have the same level of experience or resources as a professional company. This can lead to delays in the project or even a complete failure to deliver the project on time.
- Cost you High: Finally, it can be more expensive to hire a freelancer because you will likely have to pay them hourly, rather than getting a set price for the entire project.
Summing up the above points, we can say that the final cost to build an app considering various factors & personal preferences, is somewhat between $20,000 and $100,000. The integration or addition of more features & functionalities will push the cost higher.
So, now that you are aware of the must follow considerations for developing a mobile app, it’s time to hire mobile app developers who can deliver you the desired result.
QSS Technosoft Inc is an expert web and mobile app development company consisting of a team of Android/iOS developers, UI/UX designers, graphic artists, and project managers who can deliver productive services for the development of your innovative web or mobile apps.
We have vast expertise in delivering scalable & eye catch on demand mobile apps based on multiple domains.
Get connected for a free consultation about your dream business project!