In the age of mobile devices and cloud computing, desktop applications are no longer the first choice for businesses. However, many organizations still rely heavily on desktop applications to carry out their day-to-day operations. Cross-platform desktop apps are quickly becoming popular among businesses that want to enable seamless collaboration between different operating systems and devices. But what exactly is a cross-platform app and why should you consider developing one instead of two separate versions (one for each platform)? In this article, we will discuss the advantages of cross-platform desktop apps in 2023 and why you should make them part of your business strategy.
What are Cross-platform Desktop Apps? How do They Benefit Business?
Cross-platform desktop apps are those that can be installed and used on multiple operating systems. This means that they are not tied to a specific operating system and can be used on any computer that has the required software installed.
There are many benefits to using cross-platform desktop apps. Some of them are-
- They can be used on any computer, regardless of the operating system. This makes them ideal for businesses or individuals who use multiple computers with different operating systems.
- Another benefit of cross-platform desktop apps is that they are often cheaper than those that are specific to a single operating system. This is because developers only have to create one version of the app instead of creating separate versions for each operating system.
- Finally, cross-platform desktop apps tend to be more reliable than those that are designed for a specific operating system. This is because they have been tested on multiple platforms and therefore their compatibility issues have been ironed out.
Why are Cross-Platform Desktop Apps Gaining Popularity in Recent Times?
Cross-platform desktop apps are gaining so much popularity in recent times for a variety of reasons. In an increasingly mobile world, it’s important to have an app that works well on multiple devices. Cross-platform apps offer that consistency, which is why they’re becoming more popular. If you’re considering developing a desktop app in 2023, consider making it cross-platform.
There are many reasons why cross-platform apps excel some of them being:
- They allow you to reach a wider audience with your app, they’re easier to develop and maintain, and they’re more cost-effective.
- Cross-platform apps are written in a language that can be compiled for multiple platforms. This means that you can reach users on Windows, Mac, Linux, and even mobile devices with a single codebase.
- Developing multiple platforms can be a daunting task, but cross-platform frameworks make it much easier. These frameworks provide the building blocks for your app, so you don’t have to start from scratch for each platform.
- Maintaining separate codebases for each platform is time-consuming and expensive. With a cross-platform app, you can fix bugs and add new features in one place, and they will automatically be available on all platforms.
- Cross-platform apps are often more affordable to develop than native apps because they require less development time and effort. They also have the potential to reach a larger audience, which can offset the cost of development.
- Cross-platform apps tend to have shorter development cycles, which means you can get your product to market faster.
How are Cross-Platform Apps Built?
Cross-platform desktop applications are created using a variety of programming languages and frameworks. The most popular languages for creating cross-platform apps are React Native, Xamarin, Node.js, Flutter, Kotlin, PhoneGap, and Cordova. Other languages that can be used include C#, Java C++, and Objective-C.
When choosing a language or framework for your cross-platform app, it is important to consider the support that each one has. Choose the language or framework that best suits your needs.
Best Cross-Platform App Development Frameworks 2023
While there are many reasons to develop a cross-platform desktop app, one of the most important is that it allows your app to reach the largest possible audience. With so many different devices and operating systems out there, it can be difficult to develop an app that works on all of them. A cross-platform desktop app ensures that your app will work on any device or operating system.
There are a variety of different frameworks available for cross-platform development, and the best one for your project will depend on your specific needs. However, in general, the following frameworks are considered to be the best options for cross-platform development in 2023:
Advantages: Electron apps are easy to develop and deploy. They also have access to all of the features of the underlying operating system, such as notifications and taskbar integration.
Disadvantages: Electron apps can be resource-intensive and may not perform as well as native apps on some devices. They can also be difficult to debug.
2. React Native
Advantages: React Native apps are fast and perform well on most devices. Developers can also use the same codebase to build both Android and iOS apps, eliminating the need to maintain two separate codebases.
Disadvantages: React Native apps can be difficult to debug, and they may not perform as well as native apps on some devices.
Flutter is a free and open source software development kit created by Google. It allows developers to create high performance cross-platform mobile applications with one unified codebase that works on both Android and iOS platforms.
Advantages: Flutter apps are fast, highly customizable, and have access to all of the features of the underlying platform (such as notifications). They also require less coding than other frameworks, making them easier for new developers to learn.
Disadvantages: Flutter applications may not perform as well as native apps on some devices, and some features may not be available on all platforms
Advantages: PhoneGap apps are relatively easy to develop and deploy. They also have access to all of the features of the underlying platform (such as notifications).
Disadvantages: PhoneGap apps can be resource-intensive, and may not perform as well as native apps on some devices.
Xamarin is a cross-platform app development framework created by Microsoft. It enables developers to create native apps with C# and .NET, while also having access to all of the features of the underlying platform (such as notifications).
Advantages: Xamarin apps are fast and perform well on most devices. Developers can also use the same codebase to build both Android and iOS apps, eliminating the need to maintain two separate codebases.
Disadvantages: Xamarin apps can be more difficult to debug than other frameworks, and they may not perform as well as native apps on some devices.
Advantages: Cordova apps are relatively easy to develop and deploy. They also have access to all of the features of the underlying platform (such as notifications).
Disadvantages: Cordova apps can be resource-intensive, and may not perform as well as native apps on some devices.
Advantages: Node.js apps are fast and perform well on most devices. Developers can also use the same codebase to build both Windows and MacOS apps, eliminating the need to maintain two separate codebases.
Disadvantages: Node.js applications may not have access to all of the features of the underlying platform, and they may not perform as well as native apps on some devices.
Tips for developing Cross-platform Apps
Developing cross-platform apps can be a great way to reach a larger audience with your app. Follow these tips if you are seeking to build your first cross-platform app for your business-
- When developing a cross-platform app, it’s important to keep in mind the different operating systems and devices that your app will need to be compatible with.
- One way to make sure your app is compatible with as many devices as possible is to use a cross-platform development tool like Cordova or React Native.
- Keep in mind that cross-platform apps may need to be designed differently than native apps due to the differences in operating systems and devices. So, make sure to test your app on all target platforms before release.
- Hire a development company/developers who has/have prior experience in developing such kinds of apps.
How much does it cost to build Cross-platform desktop apps in 2023
Building cross-platform desktop apps is a great way to reach a larger audience with your app. However, it can be costly to build an app that works on multiple platforms. In 2023, the cost of building cross-platform desktop apps will vary depending on the features and functionality you want your app to have. However, you can expect to spend anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 for a basic cross-platform app. If you want your app to have more complex features, you could end up spending upwards of $40,000. For more information about the cross-platform app development cost breakdown, connect to our IT expert.
Cross-platform desktop apps offer a unique and exciting way to engage with your customers in 2023. With the industry rapidly evolving, these applications provide an opportunity to stay ahead of the curve and reach a wide audience across platforms. Not only will they allow you to keep up with modern trends, but they’ll also help you save time, money, and resources as you create one app that is compatible with multiple systems. We hope this article has provided some insight into why it’s beneficial for businesses to go for cross-platform desktop apps in 2023.
If by chance you are looking to build a cross-platform app for your business, then we have some great talents who can help develop your dream app at competitive prices. Let’s discuss your project in detail. You may schedule a free consultation with our experts on skype or by phone.
We are proud to mention that our work has been recognized by leading B2B reviews and research platforms like GoodFirms, Clutch, MirrorView, and many more.